Five days have passed since I last cashed in and I still have that ridiculous song playing on a never-ending loop in my oversized head. I suppose playing it consistently on YouTube doesn't help matters. I would say it is a guilty pleasure, but neither word is strong enough. Instead, I shall call it my absolutely shameful musical infatuation. Although, that may be going a tad too far in the other direction.
This weekend I was graced with the presence of my girlfriend. I showed her around Narbonne, which took all of an hour, and we ate lots of French cheese and bread. The few days that she was here were the quickest yet most pleasant few days I have had so far in France. It made me extremely excited to return to England for Christmas and after saying 'au revoir', I went straight on the internet and booked my flight.
The plan was to make it to Exeter for the last Friday night of term, but I decided that the school would not mind me having a day off so I can go home a bit earlier. Duty-free is not going to know what's hit it by the time I leave the airport. Neither is my liver.
Booking my flight home has given me two new incentives. The first is to really improve my French, so I am so comfortable speaking it that I can easily fall back into la vie francaise in January. The second is to gradually build up my liver's strength and my drinking abilities, so I can drink 'til my heart's content back home. Well, I had to counter-balance the overly sensible language-learning idea somehow...
This week I am continuing my lessons on social networking. They are going better this week, and thankfully these classes do not consider porn as a means of communicating with friends and family. They do, however, struggle to see how ChatRoulette and Skype differ. Maybe it's a French thing.
The weather has deteriorated and it has been raining all day. I don't actually mind this, in fact I find it quite refreshing, but I am not looking forward to my Monday meander to McDonald's. Rain is not a common occurence in this region, though, and my class sizes have been halved as a result, making the pupils more hyperactive than ever. The teachers are not happy either. I could not follow the whole conversational debate, but I definitely heard 'Sarkozy' and 'reforme', so I am guessing it is all political. I will worry about French politics just as soon as British politics begin to improve.
I do feel for the French, though.
It is difficult having a complete wanker leading your country.
I am now preparing to finish my working day with one final class. I have given up hoping that lessons will go a certain way, because they are all so different from each other. I have had the same lesson plan for a week and not one lesson has been the same. That is one good thing about teaching and working with teenagers; every hour brings something new. Now I need to find a second positive.
So, happy Monday everyone! I hope it has gone nice and quickly for you, although not too quickly... Remember: tomorrow you will be one day older, and you are no spring chicken.
DC
No comments:
Post a Comment