Monday, January 23, 2012

Right Now.

Every time I sit at a computer to write a new post, I try my hardest not to sound too much like Craig David. It would be easy and uninteresting if I simply reeled off the days and what I did, especially seeing as it would not come in the form of a song. Then again, my weeks consist of more interesting things than meeting girls, buying them drinks, 'making love' for three days and dumping them on Sunday.

I know I say this in almost every post, but time really is flying. My working week (all three days of it) was pretty standard. I did lessons based on talent shows and the contestants thereof. It was one of those subjects whereby I severely misjudge the interest of my pupils. I thought they would enjoy talking about celebrities and music, learning about English television, and discussing the impact of talent shows on todays entertainment industry. Instead, they enjoyed mocking Susan Boyle, imitating Simon Cowell, singing Kelly Clarkson songs and asking if I had more pictures of One Direction... Eventually they fell into a stunned silence when I showed them a photo of Jedward.

Wednesday quickly arrived and I was back in Narbonne. As I arrived at the train station, I was greeted by some smiling English faces. It was a happy coincidence. I gave the girls the grand tour of my house and it is such a great house it inspired them to say, 'feel free to come to ours whenever you like'. An offer I am not taking lightly, gutted. We went to a bakery and got lunch in the sun, visited Shiva for a casual beverage and returned to their house to play on the Wii. Just Dance is not just for Christmas so it seems. That evening, we graced Botafogo with our presence and had dinner. Four French teachers joined us, so we spoke in French for the majority of the evening and were told off when English fell from our tongues. Torn between duck and a steak, I eventually chose to devour some cow.

Thursday evening in Narbs is l'Echoppe time. Les Anglaises invited me for dinner, I was introduced to Grey's Anatomy, and we headed to the pub. Again, it was a very French affair and English was a rarity. The beer at l'Echoppe is glorious. I always have a pint (none of this half-pint European madness) of La Chouffe, an 8% Belgian beer. Lovely stuff.

I was back at the English house on Friday evening to watch a film. We landed on Inception, possibly the longest film ever made. After my mind was, once again, blown by the Christopher Nolan head-fuck, I stumbled home in a daze and fell into my bed.

It was an early start on Saturday because I tagged along with Les Anglaises to visit Perpignan. Quelle belle ville! The train journey was pleasant, with views of the sea and the snow-capped mountains. We arrived and put on our best tourist faces. Armed with cameras, we strolled around the town and its monuments. I cannot upload photos now as I am in the staff room, but I will put them on a different post later today.

Upon our return I went home and played my guitar for hours. Not only do I really enjoy it and feel as if I am learning a new skill but it also covers up the sounds of my rampant housemate and his girlfriend. Bonus. I then dug deep to find my last few ounces of enthusiasm and energy, and went once more to the English house to have some drinks ready for a Narbs night out.

Shiva was a quiet affair, but provided cheap drinks and some well, interesting, tunes. We moved on to Bota where it seems the whole of Narbonne had joined together for one big party. Ten euros (for entry and a drink) later and we were on the floor cutting some hectic shapes. The music goes in stages, from Spanish tunes to wedding classics to club anthems and finally to motown. I exhibited my hidden dance talents and showed the girls how to stop traffic and let cars through. Possibly the campest dance move known to humanity but I could tell by the other clubbers' faces that they were jealous. If you can't dance, have fun instead.

I did nothing on Sunday and I did not feel one bit guilty. I had already planned my week's lessons so I did not have that lingering worry. I did have a new worry, however, because Lucile text me saying she was ill. I needed to get from Narbonne to Sigean and I did not know how. I had no credit and I know how difficult it is to get taxis here, especially during the weekend. So, I had a mad panic, bought credit, and rang various taxi companies until one took pity upon hearing the plea in my voice. Upon arriving in Port-la-Nouvelle station, I then waited for 15 minutes for the taxi. She was late because her usual car had broken down, but that is not the reasoning that went through my mind. I was stood alone in the dark working myself up. I must have said something wrong on the phone. Maybe I misunderstood her. Or perhaps my French is so bad that she misunderstood me. I would have to call her again. However, just as I had planned a conversation and all its possible digressions in my head, a car came round the corner and the panic was over.

Today I have taken three out of four classes. They have gone extremely well because it is about music. Apparently the biggest song over here at the moment is still Adele's Someone Like You so I prepared a listening activity on the not-at-all overplayed or whiny ballad. Ah sarcasm is hard to convey in a blog. However, this activity is at the end of the class so they have to be quiet for the rest. Nothing like a bit of bribary to get the class to shut up. As it is my last week with the troisième and the quatrième, I took an entire class of 14-15 year olds today. The teacher observed. I was nervous and felt sure that the lesson would fall flat on its face but, thank God, it went well and the teacher even praised me!

Right now, I feel very content. Everything works. Three days in Sigean, Four in Narbonne. I have things to do, people to see, places to go, and there is fun to be had. I have few worries and fewer problems. My language is at an all-time high, as is my confidence. It is a shame that next week my timetable changes and my perfect routine will change. Working on Fridays is going to result in more stress and big taxi fares, but I don't really care.

Right now, I feel very content. Why worry about something that has not yet happened?

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment