Sunday, February 26, 2012

On my year abroad, I went to Arena.


Sunday in Narbonne is never a busy day. I should be planning lessons and preparing for the first day back at school tomorrow, but instead I have been playing Lego House on guitar and now writing a blog post. Wild, I know.

So, after my week of France’s Fails, I was due to head to England for a week. It could not have been more welcome. I was going to attend a family party, then make my way to Exeter to surprise my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. It was the first time I flew Ryanair and it was not the best experience. A delayed departure and the most uncomfortable seats made me sure that I am an Easyjet man through and through. I arrived safely in England where I was met by my mum and driven to Salisbury. We took the scenic route through the lovely English countryside. The joys of SatNav.

Being in Salisbury was like being in the centre of a tornado; it was crazy. The family party was such a good night. The theme was ‘things starting with B, C, or R’ so I went as a chimp (NOT a bear, thank you very much). Everyone looked amazing and with house doubles for around two quid, I prepared myself for some drunken antics. Well, if there were any antics I do not remember them. I do remember, though, putting my name forward to sing karaoke at the beginning of the night, and my name being called near the end of the night. I could neither speak nor read the words on the screen. My sincere apologies to those who were in the room.

No sooner had I arrived in my hometown than I had suited up and boarded a train to Exeter. I arrived to my vaguely surprised and very excited girlfriend. We went for dinner at Prezzos and mocked all the other couples, especially the couple who spent the evening either on their mobiles or in the toilet (no, not together).

I spent most of the next day with my mates Andy and Chris. What a shame I would not be able to go on a night out, I thought. The next day I booked a different flight home. Thursday night was a musketeer outing to Arena. It felt so good to be in a British nightclub, with student drink prices and decent music. With the best company. The next night we got a bigger group together and hit up international night at Arena. Let’s just say that by the time it was midnight, I thought I was in an episode of Takeshi’s Castle. (Can I say that? Probably not… Oh well.) On the walk home, myself and Chris decided to watch a muted version of Toy Story through Richer Sounds’ window. An ingenious idea not appreciated by everyone…

Saturday rolled around and I had lost the will to live but we had to be up and in town to meet a friend. One spinning shower session later and I felt alive again, although the lingering taste of sambuca certainly slowed things down. We went to Harvester for lunch. I had problems, I won’t lie, whereby my hands were shaking so much I could not use my cutlery. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to cut meat from its bone, and I was dropping food all over the place. I’m beginning to think that drinking is not the healthiest hobby.

My stay in Exeter was so chilled and so fun, I did not want to leave. I had caught up with some of the best people that have graced this planet, and lived a week in the student life I love so much. However, my floordrobe in Lucie’s room was reaching new levels of untidy and I wanted to see my family again as I had another opportunity. So, I headed back home.

Going to Dani’s for some drinks and snacks with Kim and Dom was a highlight. It was chilled and it’s safe to say we all over-indulged on crisps, chocolate, and sweets. Dani had the bright idea of going to the beach at midnight, but half way there we decided that a road trip through the New Forest would be a better idea, as it was not so far. It was like being in the middle of a horror movie, I was convinced the car would break down and a madman would come out from the trees to murder us. This did not happen. What did happen was blasting out some absolute bangers and proving to everyone (well, badgers and horses) that we are the world's next supergroup.

I also went to see Woman In Black with Jess, Drew, Sheryl, and Anushka. Well it’s not the best of the Harry Potter movies, but it’s certainly the scariest. Okay, scary is not the right word. It’s more jumpy. As in, you spend the whole film waiting to jump, and even when you are prepared you still jump a mile. Daniel Radcliffe was not too bad in it, but I just do not understand why he can’t walk properly. Retard.

Before I knew it, I was back on a cramped Ryanair plane and then back in the house that Jack built in Narbonne. Since being back, I have chilled with les angalises, played guitar, and now written this essay of a blog post. Now, I need to find inspiration from somewhere and plan this week’s lessons...

Oh, and Pancake Day was awesome.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment