Sometimes you are thrown into a situation where you finally have to take full responsibility of yourself. I was neither ready or willing for this to happen but as I sit here and think about my time in France so far, I think I am becoming an adult.
My first Saturday in France, my fourth day of being on my own with nothing to do. I had been wanting to go to the beach all week to make the most of the amazing weather, but it meant I would have to phone for a taxi. It sounds simple, but speaking a language in which you are neither fluent or confident over the telephone is a big deal, alright. However, on Saturday I dialled the number and successfully ordered my ride out of Sigean and to Port-la-Nouvelle beach.
The beach was stunning, mainly because of the amazing heat and bright sunshine. I was all alone so went for a stroll, sunbathed for a bit, went to a café for some lemon sorbet and sunbathed some more. Breasts. They were everywhere. Topless ladies just strolling around, boobs down to their knees. Bronzing their bosoms. Tanning their tits. So, I thought, no fish & chips and saggy tattybojangles. It may be sunny, but I would choose Bournemouth any day of the week.
Saturday night I thought I would try one of Sigean's many pizza places, rather than having yet another McDinner. It was nice, once I had removed the olives and drained the grease, of course. The next evening I ventured out once more in a search for food but pizza seems to be the preferred choice of takeaway here. By preferred, I mean only.
Sunday morning and curiosity got the better of me. The ground floor of my block has several doors, none of which I have seen open. Armed with my keys and a burning passion to investigate, I unlocked the first door. Well, I had found the washing machine so I do not have to pay to use the launderette. Boom! I then tried door number two. I walked in, turned on the light and... either a thousand small babies had started screaming or an alarm was going off. I jammed the key back in the door and locked it. I ran to my room but it was still too loud to bear. I walked quickly out of the school premises. I could still hear the shrill ringing of the alarm, as could half of Sigean I imagine. I waited, not knowing what to do. Eventually, it stopped. I breathed a sight of deepest relief and returned sheepishly to my room.
It is safe to say that I will never know what lies behind the other doors.
Monday and Tuesday were my first days of teaching. Half of my classes were brilliant and keen to try to speak English and learn about Britain. The other half... Well I may as well give up on them now. I won't, but they refused to speak English and swore at me in French... until they realised I understood what they were saying. They all asked if I could speak and understand French and did not believe me when I said yes. The fact that these types of conversations took place in French did not make the slightest bit of difference.
I had plans for my classes that would eventually involve songs, movie clips, presentations etc. I walked into the classroom at 8:30am on Monday and there was a blackboard with chalk. So my challenge is now to teach rowdy, hormonal teenagers the English language with no method of keeping them engaged or interested. I can sense a long year ahead of me.
The best thing about the school is their lunch. It lasts for an hour and a half, and costs 2 Euros and 45 cents per meal. I must admit that discovering I was eating rabbit on Monday was a slight shock, but it was very enjoyable. The duck on Tuesday was also lovely, as were the lentils in gravy that came with it, and the beef curry on Thursday. Accompanied with a bread roll and French cheese, I could quite get used to big lunches. On Fridays the teachers all eat in the main staff room and crack open a bottle or two of wine. I do not work on Fridays so have not yet joined, but when I am more confident with my language skills I will.
I have once or twice considered buying a bottle of wine, but I have no fridge in which to store it and no corkscrew with which to open it. That is the worst thing about living in the collège: not having anywhere to store or cook food. But while the rent is free, I am happy to splash out on ready-made food, no matter how greasy it may be.
Wednesday was my stage d'accueil, a big welcome from Montpellier basically, and it was just plain boring. First, I had to get up at 5:30am to get a taxi to the train station. Then I had to change trains and upon arriving in Montpellier, get a taxi to the CRDP. It was expensive and gave me no time for breakfast or caffeine, so I was falling asleep all morning during their information-giving. It was pointless, too. Most of the assistants were from America or Canada, i.e. outside the EU, so needed more complicated advice and had more admin to do. They asked question after question after question. Us English folk were ready to leave by mid afternoon, and we may as well have for all the use it was. All-in-all it was a waste of money, time and effort.
Good points? Well I met someone who lives in central Montpellier. He is originally from Vermont and seems like a genuine guy so when I need to escape from Sigean I have someone to meet. Also, I met up with a teacher for a pint when I got to Port-la-Nouvelle. Although it made me realise how much I need to work on my French, it was nice to have a proper conversation with someone in my second language.
So far, my initial comment in this post seems irrelevant. It is not. See, during my two years in Exeter I rarely did anything alone. I would always wait to go into town until someone else needed to. I would try and persuade people to go on walks to campus with me when I needed to hand something in. Even a two-minute walk to the co-op when I needed to buy alcohol in first year felt like a challenge. I am not independant. In fact, I rely on others to a huge extent, sometimes to the point where I end up doing nothing if nobody else can join me.
So far in France, I have done almost everything alone. Okay, my mum and sister came with me and helped me get organised, but that's it. I have ventured into an unknown town on my own, finding my own way in foreign surroundings. I have arranged important paperwork, I went to an interview with the bank, I went alone to the beach and to an induction where I knew nobody... I have even been in charge of seven classes of 13-15 year olds.
I have finally taken responsibility for myself, and for that I am proud.
DC
No comments:
Post a Comment