Thursday, October 20, 2011

Les mouchoirs (masc.)

My half-term has begun, which means it's time to have some fun.

Somebody came to put internet in my room on Tuesday. So, after six long hours of teaching, I crawled up to my bedroom. A cable was running from my laptop to the big box of electrical stuff in my shower room (safe, I know). I was dubious, as I always am when it comes to technology, and turned on my laptop. No internet. After about an hour of trying every possible way of connecting to the internet, I gave up and headed to McDonald's. I was stressed, tired and annoyed. The only solution: a Big Mac.

I had to rant to someone but my French is not yet good enough to do it here, so I made a call to England. My main rant was about my classes. They were awful this week. Mr Cash got serious and the kids realised I am not as laid-back as they thought. I then ranted about internet. These rants calmed me down and turned into pleasant conversation. In the evening, I thought things had to change.

Wednesday rolled around and brought incentive with it. I decided during my classes in the morning that I could not live in the collège any longer. In the afternoon, I looked for an appartment in Narbonne and by the early evening I had emailed a landlady. For those of you have been reading this from the beginning, you will remember that my original plan was to live in Narbonne with two other guys. If not, you now know. Well, I think this is exactly the same room. I am going to meet the landlady to look at the room during the holidays and hopefully I will move in soon! Fingers crossed.

Yesterday, as positive as it were, also had its downsides. I got a cold, and it hit me suddenly and without mercy. I was sneezing during my lessons and I had run out of tissues. I used the school's toilet roll, but one sneeze and there's a hole blown right through it (Mental note: grab a giant wad of said bog roll after deploying a number 2). So, I wondered to a shop to buy me some snotrags. Alas! I could not find them. So, feeling confident with my ever-improving French tekkers, I went to the shop assistant and asked her for some tissues. Okay, not quite. Midway through my sentence, I realised I did not know the word for tissues. I spent the next two minutes apologising and miming sneezing. She showed me medicines, and I said I do not want medecine, just something to use for when I 'atchoo!'. Although, I had actually told her I did not want doctors. It was all very confusing, and I left the shop feeling very embarrassed. I went to McDonalds for the second day for some McComfort food.

Feeling even worse after my Big Mac meal and M&M McFlurry, I headed to Lidl for some wine. A nice bottle of red for under €2. Snazzy. I read the label and it suggested I drink it to accompany cheese. I have not got a fridge. Therefore, I tapped into my creative side and bought some cheese straws. My evening was spent watching The Dark Knight, drinking red wine and filling my bed with crumbs from the cheese straws.

I woke up this morning to the haunting sounds of Vivaldi. I slept for another 55 minutes. Vivaldi. I slept for another 55 minutes. Vivaldi. You get the point. Eventually, I got out of bed, made a coffee and had a pain-au-chocolat. As I was sitting in the staff room, Facebooking away, the secretary handed me a parcel. I had been expecting it; it was from my girlfriend.
It contained an Original Sin lanyard, a University of Exeter clicky pen, a puzzle book, a card, and Thor on DVD. Amazing. Needless to say, it made my week! I am a lucky boy.

So, now it is Thursday. As the term draws to a close, most teachers seem to have colds. The mood is generally positive, but everyone is tired. I will hopefully have internet (working!) either this evening or tomorrow. If I get the room in Narbonne then I hope my housemates like to get drunk, because I have run out of boxsets. My main concern, though, is getting out of Sigean and moving somewhere bigger. Bigger town means more pubs, right? Right.

Now, I must venture into the village and seek nourishment that does not begin with a Mc. Armed with the rest of my wine, some cheese straws and my new DVD, this evening is set to be chilled. But, chilled is good. For now...

Oh, if you're wondering about the title of this post... It's just something to make sure I never forget the French for 'tissues'.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment