Tuesday, December 6, 2011

20 reasons why I am excited for England!

Over the last week-or-so I have been thinking more and more about my return to England for Christmas. Initially, I was just excited at the thought of being back on British soil. As you let your mind get carried away, however, you start to think of the smaller things. I thought I would share with you a list of things I am most looking forward to, mainly because I have a day off and Sigean is a boring place.

So here it is, 20 things I am looking forward to (in no particular order):

20 - Fresh milk. Milk over here is just obnoxious. It's all like, 'Look at me! I never go off and I make tea taste funny!'. I am looking forward to fresh, British milk that even when it smells disgusting after a few days, we still sip... just to make sure.

19 - Fry-up. We usually have a fry-up on Christmas morning for breakfast, to prepare our stomachs for a day of binge-eating. A nice, big, greasy full English with fatty bacon, sausages and eggs all from British farms, and some nice mushrooms fried up on the side. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin.

18 - Money. I cannot wait to hold a nice, crisp twenty-quid note rather than this European Monopoly money.

17 - Tesco, Sainsbury's, The Co-op... British supermarkets. Where you have time to pack your shopping into bags before the next customer has their items thrown at them at ridiculous speeds.

16 - The English language. I cannot put into words (rather ironically) how excited I am to be speaking, reading, writing and hearing the most beautiful language that has ever existed on a daily basis.

15 - Cider. I am from the South-West of England, need I say more?

14 - British nightclubs. The smell of piss and stale alcohol, people vomiting in the toilets, awkward British dance moves, greasy food on the walk home, forgetting everything in the morning. Heaven.

13 - The 3 musketeers.

12 - Exeter University. Walking up tens of hills to get anywhere to see the new improvements to campus, safe in the knowledge that I do not have to attend lectures or seminars for another 10 months.

11 - Shops open on Sundays. Waking up on a Sunday to discover you have run out of milk is never a good feeling. It is worse when you also know that no shops are open and it is not worth going on a trek to find one that is (refer to point 1).

10 - English TV. Flicking through channels and ending up on a completely trashy programme because it is too unbelievable to switch off... and end up watching not only the rest of the episode, but the entire series.

9 - Sitting at home in front of the fire. Warmth, comfort, family and tea. Parfait.

8 - Christmassy stuff. The lights, the decorations, Christmas songs in shops, Santa's grotto (awkward moment, forgot the English for this and had to ask a friend).

7 - Christmas films. The classics that are always repeated on TV: Love Actually, It's A Wonderful Life, Muppet's Christmas Carol, Home Alone, Chicken Run... Die Hard.

6 - Sarcasm. So many times I have made sarcastic comments and have been taken seriously. Like when I told one class that I had 3 wives and they told the rest of the school. I look forward to telling someone they look hideous, and them knowing that I have really just paid them a massive compliment.

5 - New Year's Eve. Yes, it is the most hyped-up night of the year that always turns out to be slightly disappointing... but not for me. Drinking and dancing in Salisbury with some of my closest friends is all I want to begin the new year.

4 - The train journey from Exeter to Salisbury. During this 1hr52mins (approx) I will feel as if I am truly going home.

3 - Cuddles. Cuddles with my mummy and my sisters. Cuddles with my girlfriend. That is about as soppy as I will get on this blog. Now fuck off and read on.

2 - Family. I have a massive family and they are all crazy. They are also all intelligent, talented, beautiful and caring. I will forever be grateful for my wonderful family, and I cannot wait to see them again. Plus, there have been two new additions since I moved to France, which makes it that little bit more special.

1 - Waking up and thinking, "I'm home."

The best thing about this list, is that while I wrote it I also thought of things I will miss about France.
Maybe I will share it some other time, though.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment