So here I am, on my last full day in France until 2012. And what a day it has been.
You can tell whether you will have a good or bad day during the first five minutes of being out of bed. Sure enough, the first thing I did this morning was lose a contact lens. I then proceeded to go on the standard half-blind (I had successfully fixed the first lens to my eyeball) hunt on my hands and knees for said contact lens, consequently running out of time for my compulsory morning coffee. I went to my first class where the students were merciful and did all the work. I then had a free lesson and upon entering my poorly-lit 'bedroom' almost immediately found the lens. I plunged it into saline solution and prayed for the best. I am yet to check it, but I will wear the damned thing tomorrow regardless of the state it is in. After all, while I can see I will be vain. If, however, the dodgy lens makes me blind then I can simply imagine I look like George Clooney. Grey hair and all.
The next five classes of the day were some of the worst I have had since arriving in France. The pupils are all very excited for the holidays and lessons based on Christmas were apparently worsening their already turbulent behaviours. I had to send one pupil to 'La Vie Scolaire' for the first ever time, which just shows how much he pushed my patience. Despite this overly-stressful day, however, my high spirits could not be broken. I am returning to England tomorrow. That fact alone will keep a smile fixed firmly on my increasingly wonky face and a sparkle in my ever-shrinking eyes.
I returned to Narbonne and went for my last stroll through the city whilst it is still a winter wonderland. I picked up a few last-minute Christmas presents to ensure that everyone in my household has at least one French gift, and returned to pack procrastinate.
I will not go through every day that has passed since my '20 Things' post (which, by the way, has had the highest number of views out of all my posts. Thanks guuuyyysss). The only day I will vaguely tell you about is Saturday. I went to Narbonne's light show with Marisa and Chris, which was much better than I had anticipated seeing as Narbonne has never had that much to offer before. I took lots of videos but due to a slow internet connection I will not attempt to upload them onto this right now. I will, though, show you some festive photos.
On the left is the town square, not a great photo but you get the idea: lights and trees.
Below right is the walk past the town hall with a red carpet and lots of 'snowy' Christmas trees. Also, you get a glimpse of Chris, you lucky people.
Below left is a Christmassy hut and a big Christmas tree. Sometimes I feel like I patronise you.
Later on Saturday evening, I went to the English girls' house for some drinks. There, I confirmed that I am one of the most awkward people I have ever met.
It feels very surreal that I am returning to my homeland tomorrow. I am extremely excited but I do not think I will fully accept it until I am there. In my head, I have already missed my train, lost my suitcase, got on the wrong plane, and ended up spending Christmas in Yugoslavia. Well, if you imagine a worst-case scenario you can only ever be pleasantly surprised.
I will miss certain things about France. Cheese, beer and being able to escape from awkward situations with a simple 'je ne comprend pas' come immediately to mind. There are more things, I am sure, but I know that in a short three weeks it will all start again.
Until then, I hope time passes me by a little slower than it has during the last month or so.
As I am sat here with an empty suitcase, clothes strewn about the place and wearing only a towel, guilt has started to smother me, as well as a slight chill in areas that I would prefer to be warmer. So, I will get a move on and prepare myself for what I hope will be a smooth, non-stressful day.
That's the beauty about being a human: If nothing else there is always hope.
DC
No comments:
Post a Comment