Monday, September 12, 2011

Dollar is what I need


When things go wrong and it’s my fault, I get stressed. When things go wrong despite me doing everything correctly, I get angry.

Getting my maintenance loan for my Year Abroad has been anything but easy. First, the university did not process something correctly with Student Finance England. Then, after I contacted the uni and they sorted it out, Student Finance did not process the information they had received. Then, I had to wait for a form to sign and return. Now, I have just tried to register so I can finally get my much-needed moolah and the university want me to pay half tuition fees. Umm… Since when?

I know who would be able to answer that question, I thought to myself, so I emailed the year abroad convener. Oh no, she is ‘out of office’ this week. Good job loads of students aren't going abroad this week then… oh wait, they are. (Not me, I know, but still it’s annoying).

Rant over.

Thirteen days to go and I am mega excited!  I had my work’s leaving meal on Saturday and I remember very little. I know the food was poor so I will be boycotting Strada for a long time, but everything else was awesome. I want to know what was going through my beer-addled brain when I asked for a bottle of wine with dinner as it resulted in a horrific hangover, but the night before was definitely worth the day after. I now have three shifts left at M&S and after that, I hope I never have to work with customers again. Or coffee.

My German friend is here at the moment. She came here to study a few years ago and has visited every year since. I hope I make good enough friends in France so I can do the same. English weather is bound to be less bearable after 7 months in southern France, so I will need to escape every now and then!

I feel like I am repeating myself a bit in my blog, but I suppose I will not have anything really interesting to say until I am in France. I am still going to write it though, it helps me keep track of what I am doing and need to do. There are loads of things that will not take long to do, but that I keep putting off. For example, I have to buy insurance, give EasyJet our passport information, pick up stuff about Britain to use as teaching materials… All little things but I just cannot be bothered. I think that is because I just want to get my loan, buy clothes, see my friends, and get on with my Year Abroad.

I also want an iPad and a Kindle, but I think I will have to wait until I get my Erasmus grant and my wages from the school first. I can almost taste the other side of my overdraft and it is tantalising. I am fed up of being ‘overdrawn’… I just want to be ‘drawn’ for once! I suppose that being stuck in your overdraft is all part of the university experience, but let me say now that it is rubbish. The only time it is good is when you are in credit and eventually go down to £0.00 BUT, really, you have another £1,400 to spend! Dodgy outlook, I know. I guess that is why I manage to max out my overdraft at the end of every term, without fail, and have to work over holidays to pay it off. Ah well, if working to pay off nights in Arena and the Lemmy is what I have to do, then so be it.

When I next write, I will be free from work. I will be less stressed, more excited, hopefully richer, and possibly drunk. (I won’t be drunk.)

 Until then.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment