On Thursday I went to Reading to chill with Andy for a few hours. It was a standard day walking aimlessly around The Oracle, pausing for fast-food every now and then, and stopping at a pub for a pint. A pint turned into three and we thought it would be unacceptable for us to be in a drinking establishment without having a VK to strawpedo. Uh-oh.
Three hours later we were in Salisbury getting prepared for a night out. Two-and-a-half pints of Cryptonite and many strawpedos later, we were at the beach with Kim and Chloe (not the Kardashians). The point I am trying to make is that me and Andy had not really made any plans except from to hang out and we ended up having a completely awesome and random night out. It does not surprise me that this happened, because me and Andy spent most of second year going out without really planning to. It is behaviour to be expected from us, and the best way to say 'see you later'.
I may be thinking too much into it, because that's what I tend to do, but it has made me feel slightly more relieved about my Year Abroad preparation thus far. This is because I have not yet made extensive plans about anything. I have always known that everything will work out because things always do somehow, but now I am worrying less about what will happen. I think that if you plan everything, so many things can go wrong. If you just go with it, you will be more willing to do things that you did not expect to do and you will not be disappointed because things do not turn out as you planned. So from now on, I am not going to guess what everything will be like, I am not going to make lots of plans in advance, and I will grasp whatever happens while I am in France by the balls. I guess it is lucky that I will be living close to the sea, just in case I get drunk and fancy laying in the sand.
As I am lying here in my sandy bed, not feeling quite human, I am thinking about the next two weeks and how quickly they are going to pass me by. I have four shifts left at work, my work's leaving do, a 30th birthday night out and many people to see. I feel like I am going to run out of time to do everything unless I start organising myself very soon. Then again, as long as I get to see everyone before I jet off that's all that matters... I'm sure all else will get done at some point.
I have also begun to think of a list of things I think I am going to miss.
Here's a sample:
- Speaking English
- Arena
- Living with other people
- 4OD / BBC iplayer
- Spending mornings talking about the night before
- The Vic
- Prelashing
- Mama Stone's 2-for-1 Mexican food
- 'Never Forget' to finish off a Lemmy night
- Watching international sporting events in my own country
- Cryptonite
- Going out on a school night
- Safer Sex Ball
- The Mississippi Drifter
There are obvious things I'll miss that are not up there, like people, but I am not going to get all sentimental. The list is pretty self-explanatory and really, they are all little things. When I think about it, they are not things I am going to miss.
Instead, they are things I will be looking forward to; they will all still be here when I get back.
Now for the weekend. My last Saturday in Marks and Spencer and a meal to follow. Sunday will be pretty much like today, a hangover day. Although I have not got a 9am dentist appointment like I did this morning, so a much needed lie-in is on the cards.
As I am beginning to realise I have used the word 'thing' at least twice per sentence and the urge to edit this whole post is consuming me, I am going to sign off. Besides, The Million Pound Drop is on. Sweet.
Bon week-end!
DC
No comments:
Post a Comment