Tuesday, September 6, 2011

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”

Time flies when you're having fun. Unfortunately, time also speeds along when you want nothing more than for it to slow down. The next 18 days will fly by.

I have not yet said that I 'can't wait' for my Year Abroad, because I can wait. I am looking forward to going, don't get me wrong, but I would like for my time in England to last just a little bit longer. However, I have 18 days to get everything organised, see everyone to whom I need to say 'see you later' (not 'goodbye'), and buy everything on my list. I am thinking of everything I need to get in order before I leave for France.

What I have not thought about is everything that will happen once I am there, apart from things that are not important. For example, I have not yet thought about what I will teach to the kids, although I expect the Royal Wedding will inevitably sneak in somewhere, however I have thought about what clothes I will wear to classes. It is the first time ever that I have wanted to buy chinos and shoes that are not trainers. As someone who has only ever worn the standard jeans-and-a-tee combo (or sometimes shorts when I'm feeling wild), this is a big step. 

Another thing I had not previously considered was visiting. I suppose this is because it seems like such a long time until I will be settled in and ready for people to visit me. However, a lot of people close to me have already considered visiting arrangements; when will be the nicest weather, where they will stay, what we will do... Something that has never crossed my mind is me visiting England. Of course, I will come back for Christmas, but I have never assumed that I will want to come back at any other point in time. For me, my Year Abroad is a massive opportunity to live far away from home, learn a new language properly, and experience teaching. For others, it is me buggering off to another country for seven months. I have been selfish, I suppose, to assume that people will visit me but that I will not visit them. I have been stupid to assume that people would not expect me to come back for a weekend, at least. Visiting, I could say, is a grey area. I do not know what will happen yet, and I do not know how I will feel about coming back for a few days. What I do know is that I plan to visit as many people as possible before I leave.

So back to now, 18 days before I leave for my Year Abroad. I am going to Reading on Thursday to hang out with a mate from uni and Saturday night is my work's leaving do. Yep, my social life is looking good (for once!) and I have a good balance between work and play. As for year abroad preparation... So far I have bought a folder in which to keep any important documents safe, a diary to keep my life in order and so I can remember when my classes are, and a tiny notepad and pencil which I will use as a portable vocab book. Basically, I have bought small things that are not very important but make me feel like I am getting somewhere. What I really want to buy are lots of boxsets of TV shows, new clothes, a haircut and teabags. Bring on loan day and pay day... 

I realise that as of yet I have not given you reasons for starting this blog. Quite simply, I am self-involved... Just kidding, although I do think I am highly important. Joking again... Wow, sarcasm is hard to convey in writing.

Seriously though, I wanted to keep everyone updated about what I am up to, as it would be very boring if every time I spoke to someone in England I had to recount the same stories over and over. Secondly, I enjoy writing and I have no imagination so this will hopefully satisfy that hobby. Finally, I want to set myself targets and if I tell other people said targets I will be more inclined to complete them. 

So, the next time I post here I will have bought some new clothes and a big case for all my DVDs, and I will have picked up tourist information leaflets about Salisbury to use in lessons. If I have not done any or all of these, you can all judge me and send me death threats.

To finish, I would like to suggest you read my mate's blog while you are here. 
He's new to this game, too, so when we're both world-famous bloggers you can say, "I read their blogs before the films based on them were made!"

Ah, who am I kidding? Who in their right mind would make a film about a Social Network..?

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment